Monday, October 27, 2014

Hot Spiced Drink


I wish I could send smells through the computer. I would.  It's cooling off here in Boise which means one thing...hot spiced drink.  Mom made this growing up using a percolator.  Not many people have one (ahhem like me) so I use my aunt's Le Cruset!  Any pot will do.  One thing is for certain, your house will smell wonderful and it is EASY EASY!

Ingredients:
2 cups cranberry juice*
2 cups apple juice* (or cider if it is fall...the only difference is the filtering and preservatives)
6 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 orange, sliced (discarding the ends)

*You can honestly use any amount of juice.  Use equal parts.  I typically just throw in cloves and a couple cinnamon sticks.  It's not a measured science.  It is hard to mess up!

Steps:
Combine all ingredients over low heat and let simmer at least 20 minutes.  The longer the better.  Many people online in similar recipes recommend taking the peels off if you are going to simmer for long periods of time or store.  It causes it to bitter.  I keep what I dont drink in a pitcher and reheat in the microwave!

Today I used these juices!  I try to get natural juices...no sugar added. 
Cloves fascinate me.
Isn't it beautiful?




2 comments:

  1. Yum! I feel silly asking this, but how many oranges do you put in there? Buying ingredients to make this weekend! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss YOU!!!!! I totally forgot to put orange in the ingredients! I typically slice one large orange and discard the ends.

      Delete