Thursday, June 26, 2014

Herbed Chicken Parmesan


I first posted this recipe January 2011 and, 3 years later, still love it.  Every time I make it I cannot believe I don't have it on a regular rotation.  It now has 151 ratings and 5 stars.  It deserves its own post and notes so I am adding my alteration and tips.


The original recipe from allrecipes is here.  The version below has my alterations.

Ingredients

  • Breading:
  • 2/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, halved
  • 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (I increased it to be sure I had enough breading)
  •  (I leave out parsley...we don't care for it.)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • large egg whites, lightly beaten 
  • 2 chicken breasts*
  • 1 tablespoon butter

  • Sauce:
  • 1 jar bottled tomato-basil mushroom pasta sauce (I love sauce so I make it a large jar!)
  • 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 slices of provolone cheese
  • * Albertsons has the hand trimmed chicken...thank you Albertsons.  Trimming is my least favorite part of baking chicken.  I slice them in half so they are thin and positioned well for tenderizing.  It makes it into 4 breast pieces that cook easily through as well

  • Combine parmesan, breadcrumbs, basil, and salt in a shallow dish. Place egg whites in an additional  shallow dish. Dip each chicken tender in egg white and dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.   Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.   Add chicken.

  • I didn't take a picture.  You know, salmonella and cell phones don't mix.  

  • But this picture is after the chicken is breaded.  See how well they fit in our large frying pan.  It is one of our amazing wedding gifts and I use the mess out of it. 




  1. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Take off heat.





Combine sauce ingredients and microwave until hot.   Pour the sauce over chicken in pan. 
Sprinkle evenly with the remaining Parmesan and provolone cheese slices. Wrap handle of pan with foil, and broil until the cheese melts.

And here it is!  It easily feeds us for 2 nights!


*I love my new placemats.


No comments:

Post a Comment